Monday, May 3, 2010

Hola! and some adventures in 5 year old soccer

I have to apologize for my poor neglected blog! Somehow blogging always seems to take me FOR-EV-ER....so I have been putting it off. :)
Anyway, I wanted to share these pictures from Joshua's first soccer game a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun (and, admittedly, a little bit of stress for the soccer mom) to watch him play!
He had never played before (besides in our front yard), and since we had been out of town he had missed the first two practices, so I was a little worried about what he would do.
The good news is that he is a very fast runner, he has a really strong kick, and he is super-dee-dooper excited about soccer! He loves to go to his games and practices, and he LOVES to wear his uniform. I think he wore it everyday that first week! He's cute.
Slightly less good news....
is that he thinks soccer is a game of sharing, bless his sweet heart!
He would run and catch up with the other team when they took the ball down the field, but he wouldn't kick it from them, he would just run beside them.
(Meanwhile mom is on the side lines screaming her lungs out - "KICK the ball, KICK the ball!! and realizing with every scream that she is behaving just like her parents did at her soccer games - yes, I have reached that moment when I find myself doing things just like my parents, things I said I would never do as a parent!)
After the first game we get in the car and I asked Joshua if he knew he was supposed to kick the ball away from the other team and take it.
He said "But mom, we are supposed to take turns!"
Well, at least I've taught him one thing, right?
So now we tell him we always want to take turns except when we are playing soccer - then you take that ball and runaway with it!



a little pre-game advice from
the CALM soccer parent. :)





And these are our cute kids on Easter - they were trying not to smile fore the picture...
obviously Grace is a little more practiced at grumpy faces than Joshua is!



4 comments:

Todd and Elaine Henke said...

Oh your kiddos are just so cute!! Good work on the teaching Joshua to share!!! :) That's pretty good!!

Unknown said...

I laughed a lot when my mom told me this story! I'm glad he is so caring! It is cute! Love Gracie's grumpy face :).

Kim Greer said...

I know exactly how you feel!! Tyson won't even attempt to take the ball if someone else is going after it, so I sit on the sideline and make a fool out of myself yelling. :) At least they have fun, right!

beckyjune said...

Oh, that Joshua is too sweet, wanting to share even at his soccer game. The kids look so big! We are going to come visit you, and hopefully in the next month if that's okay. I miss y'all. How was the crop?