Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My life has changed forever.....

It is true.
Joshua started school yesterday, and now life, as I knew it, has changed.
I'm sorry if this is all mushy, but really, I have been so much more sentimental about this than I thought I would be.
I cry even now as I write about it!
Yeah, I'm a bawl baby, it's a fact, let's move on.... :)
Here is Joshua the morning of his first day of school!
He was so excited, 'and a little nervous', as he would tell everyone.
I was A LOT nervous.
Daddy got up early just to make him Cinnamon Twists....
which Joshua was to nervous/anxious to eat! :)
Thanks anyway, Dad!

Our Kindergarten Man, all ready to go:
I love his smile in that picture.
It's his true, 'I'm really happy right now' smile.
That was a good sign. :)
And then Grace and I took him to school.
(I have to interject a little story about why Bryan wasn't there. So Bryan had been planning all along to go with us to take JBG to school that day. The night before school starts one of the Attorneys calls and asks Bryan if he can be at a docket call the next morning in a town that is over an hour away. Due to a short moment of Amnesia, you know, that happens sometimes, Bryan forgets what the next day is! I'm in the other room and I hear Bryan say "yeah, sure, I don't have anything tomorrow morning, I can do that." I'm thinking - WHAT?! But it is too late. He gets off the phone and realizes what tomorrow is, but it was too late to do anything about it..... we were very sad. Joshua, of course, was fine with it, he was just excited he is going to school. But Bryan and I were SO sad we couldn't all do this together! So he was there in spirit!)

Here is Joshua in front of his school.
He was so excited, but the closer we got to the classroom the more you could see the nervousness creep into his face!
We helped him hang up his bag and lunchbox, and then there was nothing to do but hug him and walk away....so we did.
But then we stood in the hall to watch for a minute and make sure he was okay. It took him a few minutes to work up the nerve to play with the other kids. He just kind of stood there and watched for a minute.
Finally he sat down and he looked up and caught us watching him!
Grace and I then went to the library for a "Tears and Cheers" meeting for kindergarten parents with the booster club and principal. On the way out we went and peeked at Joshua one more time, and this is what we found:

Sitting at his desk coloring away like an old pro.
(He caught us peeking at him again!)
We stopped at the office on our way out and I ran into the librarian, who happens to be in our ward. She's a sweet lady, and bless her heart, she told me she'd check on him for me.
I could have hugged her right then and there, but then I would have started crying, which would have ruined my goal of making it back to the car before I gave in to that, so I didn't hug her.
But I was sure grateful to see her there.
See, we've only lived here for a year, so we don't know all that many people in the community, mostly people from church. We have three kids from church start kindergarten at this school this year, and the other two are together in a different class. So Joshua didn't know a single person in that room, and it was SOOO hard for me to leave him there knowing that.
I think it will really end up being a good thing for him, a good way for him to make more friends and for me to meet more people in the community, but, gosh, it made leaving him hard.
So I was so gratful when Marie offered to check on him. It meant a lot.
And I really did make it back to the car before I cried.....
then I bawled all the way home.
Grace gave me a hug and told me I needed to try not to cry...
thanks, Grace, that made me smile through my tears, at least!
Thankfully the day went quickly and before we knew it we were on our way to pick him up.
{I will admit, though, that during the day I checked the answering machine several times, certain that he would need me and the school would have called...no such luck! :) }
He had a great time, he was telling me all about PE and Music and Recess and the pictures they colored and about how he didn't really eat all of his lunch he just threw it away :), and how he played with his classmates, but he couldn't remember their names.
And now each day is just another day of school for him.
Already this morning he didn't want to get out of bed so early!
And today he remembered a classmate's name....Betty.
So for him it's old hat now.
But for me it is still an adjustment.
I miss the sound of my kids playing together.
{Another confession: after he got home today and they were playing together I snuck a video of it so I could always have that sound - I told you I am extremely sappy and blubbery about this!}
Grace follows me around like a mostly silent shadow.
I don't think either of us are quite sure what to do without him.
But we will figure it out, I am certain, and we'll probably play A LOT of Candyland and Go Fish!
She's going to be my right hand woman, that girl.
I am looking forward to some one-on-one time with her, we have never really had that.
But y'all just better pray that I have another baby to keep me company by the time she goes to kindergarten.....or I'll really be a MESS then!

11 comments:

beckyjune said...

Janelle, it is so hard those first few days, even weeks. I know what you mean. I was apprehensive, too, to leave Hailey at the school and it's hard to just trust that she'll be okay but she always is. In a couple of weeks I'll be leaving Sarah at preschool a couple days a week and I am nervous about that, too, and it will just be me and Aimee. I will pray that you'll finally get to have another baby...I hope it happens for you. And, you're not being silly or sappy- you're just being a mom who loves her kids. We really need another visit.

McKenzie Johnson said...

I know what your going through! My oldest is in 1st Grade and for me that was much harder then preschool and Kindergarten I don't know why? It's so hard to let go of them but it's so very important. You have a wonderful family, your kids are so adorable. Good luck to ya!

Unknown said...

you are so cute! I cried just reading the post :)...I wasn't sappy about it until Anthony walked right up to his kindergarten teacher and told her who he was and that he was excited to be in school...when did they get so big! We are praying for you all the time to get another baby to keep you company :)...I'm so glad Joshua is loving it! Crazy change in life!

Kim Greer said...

So I sent Tyson out the door for his first day just an hour and a half ago, and never even thought of crying (it really does get easier), but reading your post made me teary!! Hang in there! You're a great mom.

The Crider Clan said...

I feel for ya Janelle! I HATE letting my kids go! I wish they could just stay little and sweet and cute forever! Every time any of my kids says or does something new, I just shout, "Don't grow up!" They think I'm silly, but I really mean it!

Natasha said...

It sounds like you handled yourself well Janelle. Joshua does look so grown up in those pictures. I'm sure his teacher just loves having a little angel boy like him in her class. He'll do great!

Crystal said...

Where does time go?! I read your post, and teared up the whole way thru it! Kaley starts on Tuesday. Kindergarten starts a week later than the other grades here. I am way nervous after reading your post! Joshua is really growing into a handsome young man! What a stud! He will do great! And Grace is just adorable! She will LOVE her "mom and me" time!

Todd and Elaine Henke said...

Todd and I had a good time reading this post!!! We kept laughing but then we remembered we'll be doing that in 6 years.....you'll be a pro then!!! Anyways!! Good luck with having him gone during the days!! You should get an animal....or have our baby! Just kidding!!!!!!! Todd told me to put that!

Angie said...

Wow I cant believe he is already in Kindergarten. I am sure it was hard to see him go but think of all the fun he will have at school:) You have taught him right now its time for him to venture out!

Stacey said...

Janelle, I LOVED this post. I almost started tearing up while I read it. Wait, I did tear up but did not let one slide. It is so tender. Porter is starting kindergarten next week and I am getting so nervous. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and I have dozens of other worries and reading this hit it all home.
So cute to read, so cute to have them go to school but I am not emotionally ready for this era to be done. 'Cuteness' isn't going to compensate for everything else right now! ;) I don't want him to leave yet. I now have all these doubts I didn't teach him enough AND he doesn't like to color. Will he do what he's asked? Oh, man.
Wish me luck!
Your post was perfect. Also, congrats on making it to the car. hahah Grace will soon realize as your new full time assistant that she will have to carry spare tissues around for you for those moments.

Katrina said...

Oh, I'm crying too! I am sending Cole to preschool on Wednesday and I'm already getting nervous about it! Joshua looked so handsome in his pictures. I think he has grown up in the few weeks since we saw him last. I'm glad he's adjusting, even if you aren't!! :)